Today Mike D’Antoni, head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team resigned. In his short stint with the Lakers he ended up with a record of 67 wins and 87 losses. This past season he led a broken and injured team to the worst Lakers season record in 50 years ending with just 27 wins and 55 losses.
In the words of Theodore Roosevelt, “The best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.” Coach D’Antoni may not know yet if what he did was the right thing or the wrong thing, but certainly doing nothing takes the possibility of controlling and directing his future out of his hands.
He’s had some success as a coach in the NBA, leading the Phoenix Suns to two conference championship series. With the right players to fit his coaching style he’s been able to have great successes. Now with the season just ending and other openings for head coaching positions he was able to put himself in a good position to be available for those positions. He can set some goals, focus his efforts and move on to his next opportunity.
There’s a good book that’s a quick read that talks about this kind of change titled, Who Moved My Cheese? It’s a quick read that talks about recognizing changes that are occurring and taking charge of the situation. Similar to what Coach D’Antoni has done. Someone moved the cheese, he recognized it and chose to move on before the choice was made for him and he was left without the opportunities he now has.
Will there be another opportunity for Mike to move on and continue coaching in the NBA? Who knows? There is one thing we can learn from him though. By taking charge of the decision to resign he was able to negotiate a severance that still paid him about half of the $4 million in salary that he was scheduled to earn during the next NBA season. Not a bad deal for someone who just finished with one of the worst records in Lakers history and especially in the last years when the Lakers have almost been called a Dynasty with the championships not long ago with Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal.
Everyone goes through changes, Here’s 5 cool quotes on change:
- God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. ~ Reinhold Niebuhr
- For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been ‘No’ for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something. ~Steve Jobs
- The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance. ~Alan Watts
- If we don’t change, we don’t grow. If we don’t grow, we aren’t really living. ~Gail Sheehy
- If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. ~Maya Angelou